Chapter 20 - Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) 

Oregon State University (OSU) is committed to providing access to all. One way that OSU does this is by acknowledging that some students may require a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) while in the learning/living environment. 

Please be aware: 

  • OSU does not provide PCA services.
  • PCAs are hired, paid and employed by the student they are assisting.
  • PCAs are not course or lab assistants.
  • PCAs are required to abide by all OSU policies, including but not limited to the Student Code of Conduct and UHDS rules and regulations.
  • PCAs are only permitted in the living environment based on the needs of the student and within UHDS rules and regulations.
  • PCAs are non-active participants in the academic, learning and living environments.
    • Non-active participant means the PCA should not be auditing or taking the course, asking questions, making comments or taking an active role in the course, classroom or in meetings. 
    • Academic/learning environments include, but are not limited to, classrooms, labs, research testing areas, group meetings, faculty/student meetings, advisor meetings or other academic events.
    • Living environments include club participation, residential areas, dining halls, OSU non-academic resources departments/areas, and other social events. 

In order to bring a PCA to OSU, a student must register with Disability Access Services (DAS) prior to the PCA attending courses with a student. The student must identify the courses the PCA will attend through DAS Online Services each term. 

If a PCA is required while living in the residence halls, the student must register with DAS and request housing accommodations through University Housing and Dining Services (UHDS). 

Refer to the PCA guidelines for more detailed information regarding student, PCA and Disability Access Services (DAS) roles and responsibilities. 


Page updated: 09/2020