Getting Started with DAS
Requesting Accommodations at OSU
Accommodations in postsecondary education are governed by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
Students with a documented disability have a right to receive reasonable accommodations. Additionally students have responsibilities which include:
- Providing the DAS office with appropriate documentation
- Responding to requests for information
- Scheduling and completing a required DAS orientation
- Making requests for accommodations according to the DAS Timeline for Service Requests before and during each term of attendance
- Following the policies and procedures which are available in the DAS Student Handbook
Steps to Register for Services with DAS
Step One: Applying to Oregon State University
- Disclosing your disability in the application process is not required. Applying for academic accommodations is a separate and confidential process through the office.
- See Going-to-College.org's tips on writing the application essay for students with disabilities
Step Two: Apply Online and Submitting Documentation
- Applying to Disability Access Services
- Please download the documentation information form and submit all disability documentation to DAS as soon as possible after you are admitted to the university.
- We require advance notice in order to coordinate your accommodations. Please see our Timeline for Service Requests for applicable deadlines.
- You can submit documentation through mail, email, or fax. See our About Us page for contact information.
Step Three: Scheduling a DAS Orientation
- After your documentation has been reviewed and approved you will be emailed and asked to schedule a mandatory orientation session with a DAS staff member. OSU Ecampus and OSU Cascades Campus students will need phone services and access to a computer with internet in order to complete the orientation.
- During this orientation you will learn how to request accommodations each term using DAS Online Services, get connected with a DAS staff member, learn about DAS policies and procedures, and have an opportunity to have your questions answered.
- Schedule your orientation by calling the DAS front desk at (541) 737-4098.
Step Four: Requesting Accommodations Each Term
- During your DAS orientation, you will register for accommodations for the upcoming or current term. In subsequent terms, you will register for courses through OSU and then request your accommodations for the term through DAS Online Services. It is advised that you make your requests for your accommodations immediately upon registration or in accordance with our Timeline for Service Requests.
Submitting Documentation after the Current Academic Term Begins
DAS receives documentation throughout the year. If you submit documentation after the start of a term, and wish to receive accommodations for that term please be advised that you will have to attend a DAS orientation and that your accommodations may take time to coordinate. DAS makes a good faith effort to accommodate students as quickly as possible but requests are generally provided according to our Timeline for Service Requests.
If suspect you have a disability but it has never been documented please visit our Information about disability testing page.